• December 4Santa's Gift Shop is Open!! Monday thru Friday 11:30-12:30 and 3:00-3:30

• November 27December Mass Days: 12/01, 12/06, 12/08, 12/12, 12/20

• November 27Early Release Days 12/06 and 12/22

Sacred Heart Library News

Fall 2017 Book Fair volunteers Racquel Andre, Danielle Murdock, and Eva Golbe

I want to update everyone on both elementary and middle school libraries, and express how much the parents, students, families, staff, and parishioners are appreciated for buying books and helping at the Fall Scholastic Book Fair in October. I want to thank Racquel and Melvin Andre, Eva Golbe, and Danielle Murdock for their time and expertise in setting up and taking down the entire book fair displays. A big thanks also goes to Bonita Schwenk and Michaela Martinez for volunteering in helping run the register when needed, as well as to Roncy Pipkins who kindly and patiently guided me through my first school book fair and helped me and others when needed.

Because of your generosity, we sold $2,076.16 in books and merchandise at the book fair. Out of that amount, we were awarded 40% ($830.46) in Scholastic Dollars to be used on books and merchandise strictly with Scholastic Inc. We had a Scholastic Dollar balance from last year’s book fairs in the amount of $2,246.87. During the October book fair, I purchased $853.09 in books (using Scholastic Dollars). I then placed an order with Scholastic on November 20, in the amount of $2,157.57 Scholastic Dollars. This leaves us with a Scholastic Dollar balance of $66.67 in our account. The majority of books in both purchases were for the middle school library, and the remainder went toward the elementary library. The November middle school book order included various nonfiction, fiction, series, a Newbery pack that includes 25 books for grades 4-7, and an Accelerated Reader assortment fiction/nonfiction pack for grades 5-8 that includes 50 books that are award winners and contemporary classics. Before submitting each order, Mrs. Beyhan looks over the list of books along with the order’s total cost.

I believe in keeping everyone updated and aware of how both libraries are maintained, because you are a huge part in helping them to even exist. Thus, I would like to explain that the libraries do not have a regular department budget or account to buy books or supplies. If we sell a certain amount at a book fair, we are awarded a percentage in “Scholastic Dollars”. If we sell less than $2,500, then that percentage amount is not in cash or money that we can spend anywhere such as Amazon or any other company that has a large variety of books at a more reasonable price. We can only use “Scholastic Dollars” with Scholastic Books Inc. Thus, our selection is limited to what Scholastic offers and also depends on if the books are in stock at the time of our order. Despite our limited options, I am very grateful we have the ability to get some current and good books from their selection to stock our libraries. We are very grateful to you for helping the libraries through your book fair purchases. Your donated books are also greatly appreciated by the children. They provide the students with a larger variety that is not offered through Scholastic Inc. Below is a chart that Scholastic uses for book fair sales and how we are rewarded:

Book Fair Sales        Scholastic Dollars Value                    Cash Value

$0-$999.99                    30% of Sales                                       $0

$1,000-$2,499.99              40% of Sales                                       $0

$2,500 & up                  50% of Sales                and/or       25% of Sales

Since mid-July, I’ve carefully gone through the library inventory and have discharged over 500 books from both libraries that were damaged beyond repair, had very low or no circulation in 5-10 years, or were obsolete and needed updated replacements. I will continue the discharge process, as this allows both libraries to keep timeless and classic books and also provides room for new books that benefit the students. In each library, I have a special display/book case to encourage the students to read the new books we’ve incorporated thus far.

From the moment I came here, Mrs. Beyhan and Fr. Tim expressed their hopes and visions for both libraries. Their visions and hopes are wonderful, positive, and focused on what is best for the students. I am extremely grateful to them for asking me to help with the libraries, and for their ongoing encouragement as they provide helpful input along the way to make things even better.

New Upper Elementary/Middle School Library

Being a part of this school and parish is truly a humbling honor. I have witnessed the sincere kindness and generosity of parishioners, parents, families, and staff who have donated money to buy book cases for the middle school, donated many of their own books, and who continue to show positive support for improving and maintaining the library needs for SHCS. With all the technology and gadgets that are available in today’s society, there’s something very special and rewarding about children experiencing the process of looking for a good book in a joyful and peaceful environment and turning the pages with their hands. And simply getting lost for a while in a story that helps them forget the chaos of the world. Thank you for giving that priceless gift to the wonderful students of Sacred Heart Catholic School.