• February 15Stations of the Cross every Friday at 2:30

• January 17February 19th: No School, President's Day

• January 17February 7th: Early Release @ 1:00p.m.

The War Goddess Hurricane

Hurricane Irma Hits the United Sates

www.selfdevelopshop.com

www.selfdevelopshop.com

Madelyn Graven

On the morning of September 10, Hurricane Irma hit the United States. It ripped off houses roofs, flooded coastal cities, and knocked power out to about 6.8 million people. The hurricane’s name is Irma which in German means war goddess.

Hurricane Irma was the strongest hurricane the National Hurricane Center has ever recorded in the Atlantic outside of the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico, and it was moving as a Category 5 storm. When the hurricane hit the Florida Keys it slowed to a Category 4 and it hit the mainland as a Category 3. It also moved up to South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama as a tropical depression.It also hit the southern part of Haiti. Haiti is still tyring to recover from Hurricane Matthew which hit on October 4, 2016.Hurricane Irma’s estimated damage is about $100 billion dollars. Last year Hurricane Matthew’s damage cost was only $15 billion dollars.

The Associated Press reported that at least 24 people died in the Caribbean. It also caused 9 deaths in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. Two of the deaths include Florida’s sheriff deputy and the correction’s officer. They were killed after crashing head-on on Sunday morning during Hurricane Irma.Govenor Rick Scott told the New York Times,” We are doing everything we can to get food and water throughout the state and most importantly we have got to save every life and we have got to make sure people still understand it is dangerous.”

People in the Florida Keys are worried they won’t find housing. Hurricane Irma

wrecked mobile homes, flooded apartments, and littered islands with boats, power lines, trees, and debris. Luckily the Federal Emergency Management Agency delivered 10 travel mobile homes to Key West. Monroe Country has requested 1,700 travel trailers and 7,500 mobile homes to accommodate the thousands affected by the storm damage. It has become very expensive to live in Key West, a typical two bedroom apartment used to only cost $1,075 a month but now it costs $1,682 a month. Some people may need to move so they can afford a house.

To help you can donate to Unicef and GlobalGiving are taking donations to help with the hurricane relief efforts, while GoFundMe has a page dedicated to specific campaigns for people affected by the storm. You can also donate to the American Red Cross and if you’re near the places it affected, you can volunteer. Please help the hurricane victims.